Monday, December 19, 2005

Bathing Across Europe


In my recent travels I've had 3 very different experiences in public bathing establishments.
Near Lake Balaton, Hungry: An outdoor thermal heated lake with supposed healing properties. Place had the feel of a holiday resort from the 60's (think of the location from Dirty Dancing). Full of German tourists using rubber floation devices (pictured).
Hamam in Istanbul, Turkey: Traditional bathing house where you get scrubbed and pummelled by large nearly naked local ladies. Funnily enough it doesn't actually have a bath, there is just a large marble heated slab in the middle which you bake on for a while, then move to the edge of the slab for your scrubbing underneath a huge pile of soapy foam. The baths are segregated by sex, and despite a sign on the wall saying 'no naked bathing allowed', everyone in the room was naked or very close to it.
Baden Baden, Germany: Appropriately, Baden means 'to bathe' in german, as the place was named as a result of the naturally occuring thermal springs. The place I went to was a massive, modern glass structure with an enormous selection of different sized pools of various temperatures. Being Australian, and not used to being naked in public, I'd chosen this place because of its swimming costumes worn policy, as opposed to the place over the road which was strictly naked mixed bathing as I didn't feel up to the full naked mixed bathing german challenge. So, after soaking for a while in the pools, I went upstairs to the sauna section, to find that the sauna section is mixed and naked. Oh well, as the saying goes, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. So with a deep breath, off went the swimmers. Its funny how quickly you can get used to things as soon enough I was sweating away in the sauna feeling reasonably relaxed. I momentarily panicked in the steam room when I looked around and realised I was the only woman in a room full of naked men. Time to move on. I was reasonably chuffed with myself for breaking out of my comfort zone, and doing something I hadn't done before. I also realised that in about an hour I'd been exposed to more male nudity than I had in my entire life up to that point. Definitely a learning experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home