Monday, June 04, 2007

Conquering fears and big elastic bands


This is me dangling off a rope over the Kawarau River near Queenstown in New Zealand. I've always said bungy jumping is something I would never do, the idea of it always scared me silly, despite the fact I had previously jumped out of a plane quite happily. It was something about seeing the ground so clearly below me that always put me off. Anyway, after seeing the look on my significant others' face after jumping off the Nevis highwire, I started to consider the idea. While wrangling with myself about whether or not to literally take the plunge, I realised I wasn't afraid of being hurt but being out of control. And this bothered me, was I that much of a control freak that I couldn't for a few seconds let a (perfectly safe) big elastic band control me? Well I decided to conquer my fear and do it. Once I made that decision it was fine, I leapt off that platform with some serious determination. There was a split second of pure panic when I thought my life was coming to an end, then it was all over and I was standing on firm ground again before I knew it. The end result: I got a cool adrenaline rush and conquered a fear of losing control. Not bad. Mind you, at about NZ$160 it is probably the most expensive thing per second I will ever do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home